Replacing The Flint On Your Zippo
Flints are something that need to be replaced, approximately every few weeks for an average user.
To replace the flint we need to remove it from the flint tube:
- First, remove the inside unit (insert) from the case.
- Turn it over and unscrew the flint spring using a small screwdriver or a coin. Slowly remove the spring.
Turning the inside unit (insert) right side up again, remove the remaining piece of flint, if any, by gently tapping the inside unit on a hard surface.
- Tip: The spring is under tension so be sure it doesn’t fly away.
Insert a new flint in the brass-colored flint tube. Be sure not to confuse the brass tip on the end of the flint spring. Even though it looks like a flint, it is not a flint.
Replace the flint spring and turn clockwise until tight.
- Hint: Remove any stubborn flint slivers or residue with an unfolded paperclip.
If the flint wheel binds after a new flint is installed, turn the wheel backwards a few times.
- Important Tip: Be sure the screw is tightened so the lid can fully close. A tight seal will help delay the lighter fluid’s evaporation. Re-tighten if the lid does not close.
- Hint: You can keep extra flints under the felt pad for future use.
Use Genuine Zippo Fuel, Wicks, & Flints